Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July. 
It's been a while since I last updated the page, so let me fill you in. After leaving South Fork, I continued on Hw 160 east, and passed through the towns of Del Norte and Monte Vista. The area is known for their sand dunes, and maybe not so famous for the insects that stay on the border of the town. Walking into Monte Vista, I had a swarm of Mosquitos following me. Luckily I had sprayed myself with what seemed like the entire canister of Off. I tried swatting them away, yet more would fly into the cloud and hover around me. I tried to run, they kept up with me, and became even more agitated. I finally set up my tent behind their parks and rec building and went to sleep.
From there, I arrived in the city of Alamosa. The stretch of road between the two towns was flat farm land, something I was not expecting while going through CO. The shoulder padding on my pack was wearing thin, so I stopped by the Wal-Mart in town to see if they had a jogging stroller or bike trailer I could switch out with. There was nothing available at that place or the sporting goods store, but I was referred to the thrift store past the campus. I got to rainbow thrift store, where Rich, Lacey, Stephanie, Kate, helped me out with a bike trailer that was in the basement, some clothing and food items. I could not thank them enough, and to top it off, Rich told me about the homeless shelter in town called "La Puente" that I would be able to stay at. I headed over there, and met Michelle. She is an Americorps volunteer who was from Pomona, CA. She informed me about the house, the residents, and assigned me a bed. I was planning to stay for a day or two, but it turned into a week. During this time, I talked with numerous veterans, who have their stories and challenges they're facing against the VA. 
On Saturday the 28th, I headed out towards Fort Garland, and then through the La Veta pass. The bike trailer I got from the Rainbow thrift only has two back wheels, so I attached a set of crutches to create handles, and push it like an old lawn mower. It's a definite improvement from the pack I was using, though a front third wheel would be ideal. It's allowed me to not only carry more essentials such as water and food, but it's also taken the weight off my back and allowed me to enjoy more of the walk, instead of constantly shifting the weight around in my shoulders. 
This past Monday, I arrived at Rio Cucharas Inn, in Walsenburg. I walked up to refill some water bottles, and met the managers Leroy and Darrel. In order to help me out, they've let me stay here for a couple days in exchange for me helping with jobs around the hotel. I was even more appreciative the next night, when a huge lightning storm came through and poured rain like I'd never seen. I was extremely grateful to not be in a tent that night. Since then, I've been resting and helping out around the hotel. I plan on getting back on the road on Monday, and head towards Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, and then on to Nebraska. 
I'll upload some pictures when I have a chance, and hope you all have a great 4th of July. 

Also, I'm still taking donations at crowdrise.com/natewalks  in effort to raise enough for a trailer that has three wheels and a bit more steering control. This will help me out in so many ways, and I thank you for continued support of me on this journey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment