Thursday, August 28, 2014

August 28, 2014

Well it has been a long time since I've last updated, and for that I apologize. Seems we last left when I was on my way out of Grand Island, NE.

I traveled along highway 34, continuing east through Aurora and on to Seward. Upon arrival, I stayed with my longtime friends Brian and Julia Foersch, and their two children Layla and Dylan. 

To my surprise, my friend Kieran McGuirk had flown in from Miami Florida, and was also going to be staying for a couple of days. It was incredibly awesome to see the gang again, and catch up on what has happened to us in the past year. 

On Wednesday the 20th, we took a trip up to Columbus NE to visit our friends Brett and Kim Fluckiger at his family farm. The day consisted of shooting guns, playing horseshoes, and of course drinking beer. 
It had been two years since we'd gotten out of the Marines, yet the saying rings true about the brotherhood of the Corps, "Once a Marine, Always a Marine". The rest of the week was spent relaxing and meeting the neighbors around Brian's house.

I even participated in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after being nominated by my sister.

Ice Bucket Challenge.


On Monday Aug 25th, the Foersch family were flying out to San Diego from the Omaha airport. I decided to ride with them into the city since my friends Joel and Alicia Lavelle live at the Offutt, Air Force base. 
It was sad to say goodbye to the Foersch's, but I knew I needed to continue on the walk, and they were in need of California vacation. 

Walking through downtown Omaha was quite an experience. Of course I had secretly hoped of running into Conor Oberst, but knew that was highly unlikely. I did happen to meet a couple of nice folks along the way, including the incredible Jim and Kate Bygrave, who let me stay the night at their place after hearing about the cause and message I was trying to spread.

Tuesday I met with Alicia, Joel, and their 11 month old baby boy Eion. Though Alicia and I had not seen each other since her family moved out to Omaha in 2004 from California, it felt as if no time had passed. 
Wednesday night we visited Joel parents in South Omaha for dinner. To see how happy they were when playing with baby Eion was an incredible sight. There was so much love in the house, and perhaps a bit of rivalry when we played a game of Phase 10 Twist.

Despite the past couple days of rain, we managed to visit the Omaha Zoo and Aquarium for a couple of hours today. The forecast predicts rain until Saturday the 30th, at which time I plan to get back on the road, and make my way through Iowa. 

Also, I'd like to take this time to share my Aunt Therese's Blog that will keep you updated as she begins treatment to combat her recent breast cancer diagnosis. She has always been a strong supporter of me, and I know you will get a kick out of her wit and positive outlook on things as she kicks cancers ass.

A Day In The Life of Therese.

I had mentioned in a previous update, but never got around to posting the news article from 

Again, I would like to give a huge Thank You to everyone who has supported me along this walk. I truly could not have made it this far without you by my side; in mind, body, and spirit. 
For those of you who would like to help me continue my walk, you can donate at 

Thanks again, and hope to see you all on the road.

North Platte River

Farmland

Downtown Omaha Park

Fountain Downtown Omaha

No comments:

Post a Comment