Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 4, 2014

Quick update:

I left Council Bluffs on Tuesday, traveling east on highway 6. I had numerous people tell me Iowa would be very flat, but that road was one hill after another. Needless to say, the first day back walking after that long break was killer. 
I made it to Oakland Iowa and camped out at the park.
Wednesday was a bit better, primarily due to cloud coverage and wind keeping me somewhat cool. Again, the day was humid and full of hills. I ended my day in Atlantic Iowa, which is the Coca cola Capitol of Iowa. 
One thing I wish I'd known before choosing this route was the lack of highway shoulder. For the most part there was always less than three feet of space and it's unpaved. I would not recommend this road at all to anyone cycling or walking. 
On a positive note, numerous people have come out to show their support by bringing me waters, gatorades, and even some fruit. Thank You all so very much. 
If this is your first time on the site, I hope you continue reading as to get a better idea of what this walk is for. My primary goal is to raise awareness for veterans with behavioral health issues, as well as homeless veterans. 
I should be updating in a couple days as I  go through Adair, Stuart, and into Des Moines. 
Thanks again for reading. 

And a special Happy Birthday to my Dad.
47 years young. Love you pops. 











 

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures!! Glad you're safe! We miss you in Omaha :)

    ReplyDelete