Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24, 2014

I left Flagstaff on Tuesday morning. I also turned 26 that day. While being rather uneventful, I was relieved that it was such an ordinary day. I made my way up highway 89A, through the San Francisco mountains and set up my tent in the woods. I woke up early Wednesday to the smell of smoke, and later found out Oak Creek was on fire. I spent much of Wednesday trying to avoid the smoke that filled the air, and listening to Michael Jackson. I met another traveller who was riding his bicycle from Alaska to Texas. I was amazed, and a little jealous that he was almost finished. I continued on and set up my tent under a bridge. 
Thursday I passed through gray mountain and into Cameron. Many of the locals were very impressed with what I was doing and where I'm heading. I stayed at the trading post camp site in Cameron and Friday made my way to Tuba City. It rained Friday, so I donned two black trash bags and made my way up the road. At first I was angry that no one stopped to offer a ride, but remembered that this is all a part of the walk. 

On another note, thank you to everyone who donated on my birthday at www.crowdrise.com/natewalks 
I appreciate your support. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post. I was concerned about the fire and how close you were to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily i avoided it. to think it was only by a couple days was crazy.

      Delete