Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 31, 2014

It has been a hell of a week, but I'm happy to report that I am out of Arizona, and currently in Cortez CO. After what feels like forever (2 months), of being in the desert, I'm glad to finally be out of it. This does not go without thanking the people who helped me this past week continue on my path to success by providing me with food, water, or cash. I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman named Andy, on two separate occasions actually. Our first encounter was 160 and 98 JCT. He happened to be stopped at a food vendor and we got to talking about where I was coming from, where I was going. He told me about the farming he does, business he runs, and how hes going to be featured in the August edition of the Arizona magazine. It was then that he introduced me to Suzie, one of the vendors at the JCT. She provided me with dinner, and even brought me breakfast the next morning. I slept across the street, where a construction crew had been situated for the past year, widening roads. One of the guys there named Bob, happened to be a veteran as well. He helped me get situated and gave me a couple necessities for my trip.
I ran into Andy again as I was leaving Red Mesa, which is 20 miles west of four corners. He was heading home from Farmington with his family, and he pulled over to see how I was doing and made sure i was fully stocked with water. 
I also had the pleasure of meeting a fellow traveler. Well, cyclist I should say. Sergio from Romania, had flown to New York, and biked his way across the country, averaging about 85 miles a day. It had taken him 5 weeks to cross my path. I was on my 8th week. Though I did get my distance per day back up to 30 miles, I expect that number to drop back to around 20 once I start trekking through these Rockies.
Im looking forward to the upcoming weeks in Colorado, but for now, I just want to rest and relax.

2 comments:

  1. What endurance you have.
    I love the stories of your "angels" along the way. I thank God for watching over you. --Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great! Good luck in the mountains :)

    ReplyDelete