Saturday, April 12, 2014

April 12, 2014

I arrived at the Coachella feastival grounds at around 7:30pm, and to my displeasure, not a single song or musical note could be heard. So much for hanging out and enjoying for free. I did have an awesome conversation with a woman named Trish. She was one of the security guards for the event and a frequent attendee of Burning man. We discussed what I was doing, what she was doing, yet I couldn't find the nerve to ask her how I could sneak inside. I felt our discussion was worth more than another lonely stroll through the fields. I said goodbye, but not before she handed me a couple water bottles and an idea where I could fill up my empty ones. To my surprise, It was a Brita water filter built into the wall. With no luck in finding tickets, I headed to The grocery store, and got an awesome sandwich (these happen to be the staple of my trip, also received an amazing sand which earlier that day from a the lovely ladies at the palm desert Albertsons). Set up my tent in the bushes by the wash, and had a pretty good sleep. When I woke up this morning, the realization of my dwindling EBT balance hit me. I decided I'd buy a Gatorade and two doughnuts. On my way to the register, a woman named Linda asked me if I really was on a walk across America (as indicated by the sign on my pack). I smiled and said yes. She than told me she was going to pay for my breakfast. I thanked her and said sure. After she had paid, she turned around and handed me 40 dollars. I accepted, but couldn't believe it. We hugged and I thanked her again before I left. I took a final stop by Coachella in a last attempt effort to be recognized and handed a wristband. Haha, delusional maybe, but I needed to say my goodbye. Sad, considering Saturdays line-up is so amazingly stacked. Sitting here now in the Indio library, watching Outkast's performance from last night is a bit bittersweet, but the lakes, rivers, and streams of America particularly in Colorado have me excited to continue. Just need to make it out if this desert. Figure I'll start doing a majority of my travels at night until I get past Arizona. Just too damn hot. Haha. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nate. I am reading your postings daily. I hope you are okay today. Mary Mizerski widow of your grandmother's brother John.

    ReplyDelete