Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25, 2014

I just want to start this off by thanking everyone who has helped me get this far in my walk. These past couple days have been challenging; mostly due to the new terrain and weather. It seems that every person I encounter on the road wants to help out in any way possible, which is great and helps further my every step. The VFW in Quartzsite, 3dreamers RV resort, and Shefflers Motel have housed, cooked, and helped further plan my trip. Highway 60 also plays host to quite a few cyclists going cross country, all vying to accomplish the goals they've set. It truly is an amazing place to be. On top of that the scenery is incredible. I feel as if I'm backpacking through time, watching the sun move across rock formations, cactus, and old railroads. I have been taking pictures along the way and hope to soon share them with you. Today I am in Salome AZ, but will probably only walk briefly due to high winds and approaching rainfall. This will only last until late tonight, and give me an opportunity to start early Saturday. 

On another rather serious note, I need to discuss what has come to light regarding the Phoenix VA hospital. At a time when the suicide rate among veterans is only growing, I find it deplorable that so many men and women are being lied to in regards to appointment booking and doctor availability. Not only are these unfair business practices illegal, a huge majority of these patients were retired military personal who earned the coverage that should have been provided. I hope this matter is corrected before it becomes an even larger problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment