Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7th, 2014

Sorry for the delay on updates, but im back for this next hour or so.
After the most recent post, I headed from Colton library (where the librarians were nothing but helpful) down La Cadena. Passing under the 10fwy, I felt as if entering another world. Everyone seemed not so in a rush. It was nice. Reminded me that I need to relax and remember that this trip allows me to re-discover the simplicity of life. Passing an abandoned factory, I decided to do some urban exploration. Scouting the place out, I'm pretty sure two guys were loading a body into their car. Maybe a large laundered suit? Regardless, I turned around and walked to the other side for conformation. The car was speeding off, but slowed a little when my body appeared in their dust. With no signs of dead body disposal, and a dried river to cross through, I spent know more time wondering about what I'd seen. Down Cadena, left on Burton, and, I'm lost. It was getting dark, I was supposed to be almost at the VA hospital, so I asked for directions. Grand Terrace..... Im never going back, thats all im gonna say. Finally got correct route from my dad after 3 residents couldnt.
Walked
Walked
Walked.
Finnally , at 1am I got to the VA hospital.
HUGE Thank You to the staff at Loma Linda, matter fact, the whole city. You guys treated me like an actual human being, invested in my story and well being. It may not seem like anything, but letting me sleep in the waiting room was a huge boost for my next day of travel. Honestly, such a beautiful city.
Sunday brought the first long stretch I'd have to pass. San Timoteo Canyon, all 10 miles of you, you were an excellent experience. Orange groves provided shade and scenery, while people waived, nodded and moved to allow me room. During the last stretch of distance, A sign advertising "free camping" spoke words to me. If only they had been true. :( Company policy requires a RV, no tents). The park clerk was so kind though, making sure I wasn't hungry, filled up my water, provided Intel on stealth showering and abandoned housing I could seek shelter at. :) Thank You. Thank You.
I visited the housing projects, which seemed to have been victim to all elemental and biblical plagues imaginable. While it was remote, It felt a bit to sheltered and removed. So I kept walking.
FYI, Beaumont is a lot bigger than I thought. I assumed Tukwet Canyon (another place I will not visit), was all that was there.
Excuse me for ranting, but all that was needed for them to call the cops, was me standing at a stop sign looking at my map at 8pm. Granted, "this is a PGA community" and blah blah blah.. Stratification at its finest.
I needed water as all my bottles were empty.
"3 miles isnt that bad of a walk".
Asshole.
I pitched my tent by the golf course.
Its a funny thing how life works, most of the time were to bust to see alot of the nonsense for what it really is. But the beauty also gets looked over at times as well. 
Waking up this morning, I didn't mind the heat. It just reminded me that with some perserverance I might hit Indio by Friday. Now I just need to figure out how to get inside Coachella. Haha.
Currently at the Beaumont library after receiving directions from the helpful community center. Done for now.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it Nathaniel! We are all wishing you the best :)

    ReplyDelete